Total Pageviews

HEARTMENDERS MAGAZINE

HEARTMENDERS MAGAZINE
DOWNLOAD FOR FREE, THIS RARE MAGAZINE FROM THE OFFICIAL HEARTMENDERS MAGAZINE WEBSITE

There's No Need To Be Alone! Visit BOOKOSIS.COM

There's No Need To Be Alone! Visit BOOKOSIS.COM
Keep Yourself Company With Beautiful Audiobooks & eBooks

The Land That Is Still Virgin And Beautiful: A Poet's Experience That Will Linger Forever



Written By Rosemarie Wilson


My name is Rosemarie Wilson, aka One Single Rose.  I am a singer, poet, spoken word artist, actress, and playwright born and raised in the United States on the east side of Detroit, Michigan. A product of the public school system, upon following my poetic passion, mentoring with students is one cause that I wholeheartedly embrace whenever these types of opportunities present themselves.  Since my poetic journey began, I have had the distinct honor of performing in various cities in the United States and four countries.  In August 2015, I was one of several poets from various countries worldwide selected to travel with the Kistrech Poetry Festival to Kenya, mentoring students from elementary school to university level.  The youngsters I met during my 10-day trip to Kenya were nothing short of amazing. 


Our first stop was Kenyatta University in Nairobi, Kenya.  I learned that we had just missed President Obama, who had visited the university the week before we arrived.  The students were engaging, talented, and hungry for the word.  After performing, a group of students rushed to me on the stage to take pictures.  I felt like a rock star.  I had a chance to embrace every student who listened to my performance.  The students and I were our own paparazzi taking tons of selfies. At that moment, I gained a large group of new friends.  


Our second stop was at Nairobi University. We were ushered into a room full of talented poets and wordsmiths who wowed the crowd with poetry and the spoken word. 

There were so many highlights of my trip to Kenya that this article would be several pages long if I should be penning down everything. However, I must mention a few that occurred when I arrived in Kisii, Kenya.  I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the beautiful ride from Nairobi to Kisii.  Views from Rift Valley were stunning. There were animals on the road as well as Masai villagers.  We had three days of performances planned, with visits to several Nyanza and Kisii villages.  The first village we visited was absolutely amazing.  We were greeted by the villagers in true Kisii style.  We were met on the road with singing, embracing, and holding hands before walking together, reaching a beautiful clearing outside of our host’s home, which was set up for performances.  

We were given a queenly and kingly welcome in Kisii village. Click to watch the dramatic video  

I even played the obokano for a few minutes as if I had known how to play all my life.  The young children were precious and attentive, as you can see from the photos.  The elder men offered us freshly brewed beer they shared through bamboo straws after the performance, but I wasn’t brave enough to partake in the special brew. 

Kenyan entertainers playing the Obokano 

The next village we visited in Nyanza, Kisii, was filled with talented, bright youngsters wherein we enjoyed another afternoon of performances and performed ourselves.  Their outfits and budding personalities made my day. 
I began chanting a rap with them after attempting to join in on a game of catch in which I failed miserably, but I did try, and we had fun chasing the football that seemed to escape being caught by my hands.  During one of the lectures at Kisii University, the lecturer asked us to write about someone who inspires us.  I was humbled when Dr. Joseph Muleka from Nairobi University took his five minutes to pen a few words about me. 


Our trip to Kisumu and Lake Victoria was an interesting afternoon.  We stopped in a village to purchase souvenirs.  Watching the elders sawing sandstone and talking with shop owners was a distinct pleasure.  There were so many beautiful items from which to choose.  I remembered I could only take some souvenirs back to the United States. 

When we arrived at a restaurant on Lake Victoria, a server brought a huge freshly caught fish to the table.  The “fresh catch” was slightly too “fresh” for me.  I was taken aback by the fish eyes staring at me, so I opted to have the chicken. 
With this being my first visit to the Motherland, having seen the country firsthand, I returned to Detroit with increased respect for the African culture and my African brothers and sisters.  
I did not miss the amenities that we take for granted in the United States that weren’t present in Kenya because I was too busy learning from and enjoying my people.  Africa felt like home.  Until I see you again, Africa, I’ll be loving you from afar with fond memories of the first time I saw your face.


Rosemarie Wilson, aka One Single Rose, can be reached online via:
This post was updated and re-edited on 12/7/2022. 

Comments

Heartmenders Magazine Message

"If it is fake news, there is no news!"

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugliest Celebrity in the World

"World's Highest Bridge" Opens in China Over 1,850-Foot Gorge

Baby Born With Missing Skull And Brain Proves Doctors Wrong